In 1980, the week of March 8th was declared National Women's History Week and then in 1987, that week was expanded to an entire month.
Today, International Women’s Month is a time to celebrate womxn's achievements, discover womxn's history and empower womxn. Throughout the month we see this demonstrated with lectures, art exhibits, parades, health screenings, marches, and more.
We asked RYSE members to tell us about womxn who have motivated them in their lives. Take a few minutes to watch their videos and hear what our young people have to say about all the inspiring and powerful womxn in their lives.
This month take some time to appreciate a woman in your life, learn about womxn's history, or, if you’re aged 13 - 21, stop by RYSE on March 30th for our Young Womxn's Appreciation event, featuring a dinner, sip and paint, and healing activities. This event will highlight and celebrate the accomplishments of womxn, as well as acknowledge the beautiful, amazing, and powerful young womxn we have here at RYSE.
Youth Justice Program Manager
March for Our Lives
Richmond x Washington DC
On March 24th, RYSErs participated in March for Our Lives rallies on both coasts—here in Richmond and at the White House in Washington, DC.
On this day and every day, RYSE's young people carried the power of young Black and Brown leaders who have made these rallies possible, honored the memories of those lost to gun violence. We say #NeverAgain will their lives, their loves, and their losses be silenced.
Take a stand for local Richmond Youth.
Join us on April 7th to launch the Kids First Richmond campaign.
Kids First Richmond will ensure that Richmond’s youth are physically, emotionally, mentally and socially healthy, educated, and living in stable, safe and supported families and communities.
$20 Early Bird Tickets!
Have you reserved your tickets to RYSE's annual fundraiser yet? Be A Kid: 90s House Party is happening on April 27th!
Become a Groundbreaker.
Donate $50 or more to RYSE Commons by April 14th to be recognized on our new campus.
RYSE is seeking candidates passionate for social justice and working with youth of color. Join our team.
- UPCOMING EVENT: Just a few more weeks to grab Early Bird Tickets at $20 for RYSE's annual "Be A Kid" fundraiser on 4/27!
- Interview with Staff of the Month, Administrative Manager Mónica Díaz
- Last week to grab an ale from the Ally Tap at Armistice Brewing Company to donate to RYSE!
- RYSErs Mikaela Wilburn and Tj Sykes quoted in "Richmond rallies against gun violence with the “March for Our Lives”" by the Richmond Confidential
- Education & Justice Director Stephanie Medley's article on electronic monitoring featured on Juvenile Justice Information Exchange
- Video Production Coordinator Gemikia Henderson joins The Alliance for Media Arts + Culture as a Consulting Producer